Healthy Mumbai chutney sandwich.
Fresh, colourful and filling, it’s an all time Mumbai favourite! There is nothing quite like throwing back and having a good time with friends while recalling old days filled with sweet memories. With those memories, it’s essential to have a dish that brings back your olden days. For me that dish is a classic Mumbai chutney sandwich. This sandwich truly reminds me of the days in Juhu chaupati beach, Mumbai where I enjoy the delightful, refreshing taste of cucumbers and tomato mixed with tangy coriander chutney. If you wish you can add a layer of mild cheddar as well to tantalise your taste buds.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
12 slices of white bread
1 teaspoon chaat masala
¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
50 gram butter
8 table spoon green coriander chutney (refer to chutneys in web site)
8 table spoon tamarind chutney
250 gram cooked sliced beetroot
½ cucumber sliced
3 tomatoes sliced
50 gram puffed rice and chickpea vermicelli
- Mix together chaat masala, chilli powder and ground cumin.
- Butter slices of bread on one side, spread with ½ table spoon of coriander chutney, then add a layer of beetroot slices, cucumber and tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with the mixed spice seasoning, puffed rice and chickpea vermicelli.
- Repeat the same on one more layer of bread slice with tamarind chutney instead of coriander chutney. Close the sandwich with a third layer of bread sandwich.
- Cut off the crust if you wish, and cut the sandwich into quarters. Repeat to make another three sandwiches.