Vendakka Mezhukkupuratti / okra (Ladies finger) stir fry
If you are a bachelor, stuck up in an isolated place and missing your mom’s cooking, browse through my blogs for some quick and easy Indian recipes. Yes, contrary to popular belief, plenty of bachelors around the world can whip up lovely delicacies in a jiffy, with whatever’s available in the house. However, bachelor culinary expertise is fast becoming an artifact these days. check out these quick delights and have a rolling time.
Cooking yourself is not really tough. All you need is a few basic ingredients, without which Indian cooking is almost impossible, and we have the rest for you.
Vendakka Mezhukkupurati (Okra stir fry) is a delicious side dish for rice. It is very simple and easy to prepare. This dry dish, ideally prepared with tender okra, is usually served with rice along with other “wet” gravy dishes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Okra/ ladies finger – 10 nos
Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
Onion – 1 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Coconut oil – 3 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ½ tablespoon
Salt to taste
- Wash the okra very well and slice it into 1 inch pieces.
- Slice onion and keep aside.
- Heat 3 table spoon coconut oil in a pan and put the mustard seeds.
- When it splits and pops add onion, and sauté till it turns golden brown
- Put the turmeric powder and ½ table spoon pepper powder into it and stir well. To this add okra, curry leaves and salt to taste.
- Combine well and cook it covered about 8 minutes on a low flame.
- Open the lid, add remaining ½ teaspoon pepper powder and cook it for another 2 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Remove from flame and transfer it to a serving dish.