Crab meat has a sweet and intense flavour. If you ask me to name my favourite seafood, then it would be a toss up between prawns and crabs. I love them both. My taste buds are so used to the fresh water crab from our good old Aluva, Kerala fish market.
The very first time I heard about the amazing food that is served in toddy shop was from Mangalore, where I was doing my Graduation in Hotel Management. There was a bachelors’ only toddy shop near our college. It is not for the toddy they are there; it is for the spicy and hot food served.
I still remember the crab masala I had with kappa (tapioca/cassava) from that toddy shop and it was out of this world!! The toddy shop dishes are hot and spicy and simple preparations.
When I went to buy fish yesterday in Bolton fish market, saw live fresh water crabs there and bought some. So thought of making, this really tasty crab curry. This is for all the hot and spicy food lovers out there..Enjoy!!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Crab – 1 kg (four medium sized)
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green chillies – 2 (splitted)
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
Onion – 300 gms
Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
Pepper powder – 2tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Tomato – 4 nos (sliced)
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Coconut oil – 8 tsp
Garam masala – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Hot water – 3 cups
1) Wash and clean the crabs with water. Cut in to pieces.
2) Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds let it splutter and add finely sliced onions. Cook till the onions turn brown.
3) Add ginger garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Cook for a few minutes.
4) Add Kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Cook for a few minutes.
5) Add sliced tomatoes, salt & curry leaves. Cook for 3 minutes.
6) Add cleaned crabs and mix well. Add hot water.
7) Cover and cook in a low flame for 10 minutes.
8) Cook till the crabs is done and the gravy is almost dried.
9) After 10 minutes add garam masala and pepper powder and mix well. The tasty Kerala crab masala is ready.