Aloo Methi, or Potatoes with Fenugreek Leaves, is a fragrant and flavourful Indian dish with a unique taste. Fenugreek Leaves are well known for their many medicinal properties and are a great alternative to Spinach as a leafy green vegetable. Try this wonderful recipe and turn your plain potatoes into something delicious and healthy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20
4 medium size potatoes peeled and cubed byte size.
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1/8 teaspoon asafetida
2 whole dry red chilies into 2 pieces
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon coriander powder
2 cups fenugreek leaves chopped or 1/2 cup dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- Wash peeled and cut the potatoes in small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- When the cumin seeds crack, add asafetida, and red chillies stir for few seconds add potatoes stir add turmeric, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and fenugreek leaves. Mix it well and cover the sauce pan.
- Turn down heat to medium. Let it cook until potatoes are tender and cooked well it should take about 15 minutes. Do stir one or two times in between.
- From some sides potatoes will be light brown in colour. If potatoes appear to be very dry add one or two tablespoons of water.
- After potatoes cooked well, add the mango powder and mix it well. Turn off the heat. Aloo Methi is ready to serve.