Pachadi – A festive dish of Kerala, India. This is usually served in a sadhya ( meal served on a plantain leaf). Pachadi is very similar to north Indian raita except that the vegetable is cooked, curd and coconut is added. It is the name given to a preparation made with any vegetable that is sautéed in oil with some spices and then coarsely ground. It is served like a pickle with rice.
Kerala Pachadi can be made with different vegetables by cooking it with coconut-chilli , tempering it with mustard seeds and curry leaves and finally adding curd.
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 10 mins
Serves : 4
Grated Beetroot : 1 cup
Ginger : 1 tsp (chopped)
Green chillies : 3 nos
Grated Coconut : 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Plain Sour Yogurt /Curd : 1 cup
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Salt to taste
Coconut Oil : 1 tsp
Dry red chilly: 1nos
- Heat the oil. Cook the grated beetroot till it turn to soft ( add a touch of water if it gets too dry)
2. Grind the grated coconut, green chillies, ginger and 1/4 tsp mustard seeds into a smooth paste with 1/4 cup curds.
3. Add the coconut paste to the cooked beetroots and cook for couple of mins. Remove from the fire.
4. Now add the rest of the curd, salt and combine well.
5. Heat oil for tempering in a small frying pan and add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and dry red chilli. When the mustard seeds start popping, add it to the pachadi. Mix well. Serve with steamed rice and enjoy.