Garnishes play an important role in food presentation. It can be defined as “Food items placed around or on top of a principal dish for a relish”. A careful selection of garnishes that have flavour, colour, and eye appeal is appreciated and is accepted as a finished dish.
In this post we are doing cabbage thoran/ mild spiced sautéed cabbage in an arc shape. Arcs add fluidity and a sense of motion to a presentation.
Cabbage Thoran is one of the favourite side dish of Kerala Cuisine. Any Kerala Sadhya is incomplete without Cabbage Thoran. Cabbage Thoran is a stir fry made using cabbage and coconut.
Serves: 3 – 4
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Cabbage : 500 gm finely chopped
Grated coconut : 1cup
Green chillies : to taste
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1tsp
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Shallots : 1 sliced vertically
Cumin seeds : 2 pinch
Oil : 4 tbsp
Salt : to taste
1) In a pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds, onion and curry leaves and sauté.
2) Add shredded cabbage, salt and turmeric powder to the pan and sauté.
3) Mix the grated coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds to a coarse form in a mixer.
4) Add the ingredients in the mixer to the pan and sauté.
5) Cover the pan and cook on medium heat and sauté in between.
6) Cook till the cabbage become soft. Serve hot with rice.