Idli is definitely one of the best Indian breakfasts. The reason is they are rich in carbohydrates and proteins. They are soft, fluffy, spongy and white rice cakes made by steaming rice and black gram. It is usually served with sambhar or a wide variety of chutneys. Here I have served with (Coriander chutney/ Green chutney , Coconut and raw mango chutney/ chammanthi penguins. The Art of Plating.) coconut chutney and tomato chutneys.
How to make soft Idli recipe / Idly batter.
Soaking time: 4 to 5 hours
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Fermenting Time: 10 to 12 hours
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Makes – 30 to 40 idlis
1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
2 cups par-boiled rice (or white rice/ basmati rice )
3 tbsp thick rice flakes ( poha)
salt to taste
- Mix the urad dal and fenugreek seeds with enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 to 5 hours.
- Mix the parboiled rice and thick rice flakes, with enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover and soak for 4 hours.
- Wash and drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approximately 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Wash and drain the parboiled rice and thick rice flakes and blend in a mixer to a slightly coarse paste using approximately 1½ cups of water. Add this mixture to the urad dal- fenugreek seeds mixture, add the salt and mix very well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place overnight.
- The mixture will get fermented and will rise up. Mix the batter slightly and pour spoon full of the batter into greased idli moulds. (Idli moulds are usually available in Indian grocery stores)
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till they are cooked. Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Serve hot with sambhar or chutneys.
Connect with us on Face book food group – Foodie art files We will enjoy food arts one step ahead!!