Deconstructed tapioca and fish curry
Unbeatable combination! This is the staple food of the people in Kerala, either for morning breakfast, noon lunch or for snacks. It can be prepared in many ways either boiled or cooked with spices and mashed. Not only do they taste yum, but they provide some surprising health benefits. Tapioca is rich in carbohydrates, gluten free and its protein content negligible. If you have never tasted this combination, do give a try and you will be hooked!
Tapioca /Cassava /Kappa
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder : Depending upon the quantity of the Kappa/Tapioca (optional)
Method of Preparation :
1. Clean the impurities of tapioca/kappa and peel the skin and dice into 4-5 round long pieces.
2. Pour enough water to the cleaned tapioca so that all the pieces will be immersed completely,cook uncovered and allow to boil.
3. When the water boils,remove and drain the water and again add the same amount of water, salt and cook till it turns to very soft.
4. Remove from the fire and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes and drain the excess water.
5. Serve with Ulli Chammanthi /Spicy Fish Curry (recipe below) or any curry of your choice & Enjoy!!!
Recipe for Meen Mulakittathu /Meen Mulakarachathu / Kerala Style Spicy Fish Curry
Seer fish ( Ney meen) /King fish (Aiykoora) : 1/2 kg /1.1lb
Small Red onion /Shallots : 5-8 nos (thinly sliced)
Fenugreek Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Green chillies : 3-4 nos
Cambogia /Fish Tamarind /Kudampuli : 2-3 pieces
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Coconut oil : 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
To Grind :
Small Red onion /Shallots : 10
Fennel seeds powder :1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder : 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Clean and cut the fish into pieces.
2. Soak the kukam star/kudam puli in 1/4 cup water.
3. In blender grind the ingredients mentioned above “To Grind” to fine paste and keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in the pan when its hot, add fenugreek seed, sliced small onions and sauté for few minutes and curry leaves and sauté well till onions turns to golden brown.
5. Add grounded red chilli paste, sauté on low fire till oil separates from the sides.
6. Add soaked kudam puli with its water and pour enough water to cover all fish pieces and add salt, bring to boil.
7. When its done add the fish pieces and cover and cook in the medium heat,once the fish is cooked reduce the fire to lower flame and cook until the gravy thickens. (Note : Don’t stir after the fish is cooked)
8. Sprinkle coconut oil and the curry leaves to fish curry.
9.Turn off the stove and keep the curry covered, let the flavor set.
10. Serve hot with Kappa or steamed rice & enjoy!!!