Curd rice/ Thayir sadam is more often eaten by the south Indians as a part of meal. Rice and yogurt are the 2 main ingredients that go towards making this. It is called as thayir sadam in kerala. Yogurt rice can be made in different ways. I am sharing this with bit of fusion of smoked salmon, capers, gherkins and onion. Cooked rice is mixed with curd and then tempered to make it mildly flavorful.
Curd rice / Thayir sadam
Prep time – 5 mins
Cook time- 25 mins
Serves – 2 nos
White rice (or basmati rice) – ½ cup
Greek yogurt – 1 to 1½ cup
finely chopped coriander leaves – 1 tsp.
curry leaves – 1 sprig
pinch of hing
½ tsp chopped ginger
salt to taste
chana dal – 1 tsp
urad dal – 1 tsp
green chilli – 1 slit
mustard seeds – ½ tsp
1) Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes.
2) Add required water and cook the rice.
3) Cool it completely.
4) Add curd to cooled rice. Mix well until combined.
5) Heat oil in a pan, add cumin and mustard, when they begin to splutter, add dals and fry until golden, add ginger, chilli and curry leaves.
6) When the curry leaves turn crisp, add hing and switch off the stove.
7) Add coriander leaves, to the yogurt rice, pour the seasoning and mix.
8) Stuff the curd rice in smoked salmon and serve it with capers, gherkins and onions.